Sunday, May 25, 2008

Shhh! Don't tell my kids...

I'll be honest. I'm proud of the fact that we have just wrapped up 9 weeks of consistent learning/school. At the same time, I realize that it is time to ramp it up...a bit. I say a bit, because I fear a mutiny. It took the first 6 weeks for 12 yodd to stop digging in her heels, and I don't want her to regress. Who wants to to hear "Ooey Gooey was a worm," recited again with that flat tone of voice accompanied by the eye rolling? Not me, thank you very much!




How do I plan to pull this off without the crew throwing the captain overboard? The boiling frog method. "The boiling frog story states that a frog can be boiled alive if the water is heated slowly enough — it is said that if a frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will never jump out." (Wikipedia)

Okay, so maybe the story isn't true, but I'm going to give it a try. I plan to slooooowly add one subject and let the shipmates get used to it before attempting to add another. Maybe they won't notice the water getting "hotter."

Increasing the temperature:
12yodd - American History via reading
A History of US
10yodd - D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths

No comments: