Friday, May 9, 2008

T.G.I.F.

We did it. We finished another week! And...I'm toast. As I posted on a homeschool board, "I'm tired of being good!"

Warning: If you are considering homeschooling multiple children, read no further. ;)

Reality? Homeschool is work. Yes, it is. There are pros and there are cons, and one of the cons is that it IS hard to teach three different levels. You constantly feel that you are short changing someone. It is hard to be with your children 24/7. It is hard to keep house with people in said house all day long.

Today DH came home early and took the children to see the movie Speed Racer. Ah, three glorious hours home alone. I couldn't believe how much I was able to accomplish while they were gone. Hmmm...the wheels started turning..."What if I sent the kids to public school every day? Just think of how much I could get done. Think of the peace and quiet. Think of how clean the house would be." How tempting!!!

But you know what? I've been down that road before with the oldest, and I know that it isn't a bed of roses. Yeah, there was homework, projects that I stayed up late helping her with, and you live your life around the school's schedule, but here's the worst part...she wasn't nearly as excited to see me at the end of the day as I was to see her. She
needed down time. She pushed me away. I understand. But, day after day it broke my mommy heart. While she was at school I missed her, anticipated the fun things we would do together, and when she arrived home she was too stressed and tired to even want to be with me. I can't imagine experiencing that times three.

I know homeschool isn't for everyone. This isn't meant to send anyone on a guilt trip. However, homeschool
is for our family. I do not know why, but I do know that this is what we are supposed to do.

Now, for those of you who disagree with homeschooling, you have my permission to roll your eyes, shake your head and sigh, or cluck your tongue. It's okay, I can't see you. ;)

1 comment:

brenda said...

just waving as I pass by...
hello!!!