Thursday, January 21, 2010

52 Books - Week Three


Madame Bovary
by
Gustave Flaubert

"Gradually, growing calmer, she came to see that she had been unjust to him.  But casting aspersions on those we love always does something to loosen our ties.  We shouldn't maltreat our idols: the gilt comes off on our hands."

Depressing with a capital D.  I skim-read this book several years ago.  I decided to actually read it this time and it is just as depressing as I remember.  Yes, this is no doubt a classic and the descriptions of every day life are amazing, but the tragic story line often distracted me from enjoying the author's gifted writing.  I found this review worthwhile.

Portrait note:  The book cover features a portrait of Princess de Broglie.


The Thirteenth Tale
by
Diane Setterfield

Honestly, I didn't intend to read another book this week, but this one was fun...kind of like a dark chick flick.  It included a dysfunctional family and plenty of "who done it."  Each time I thought I had it all figured out another layer of mystery was added.

No comments: