Friday, October 3, 2008

Book It!

Pizza Hut's Book It! program started October 1st, and we feel fortunate that homeschools are invited to participate.

10 yodd is reading Fablehaven to her older sister and me. She's grumbling a bit about 20 minutes a day, but that's okay. I'm enjoying the opportunity to have someone else read to me for a change. Six yodd gets a picture book or two at night plus she is listening to our current bedtime read aloud, Pollyanna.

Even if you aren't participating in the Book It! program you can print some cute reading incentive calendars from their website. They have the standard "color the slice of pizza" or monthly themed calendars. For example October's calendar has pumpkins, ghosts, or cats while March's calendars feature either stars or shamrocks and kites. Book It! Calendars, Reading Logs, and Reading Contracts, etc.


7 comments:

Imagitext said...

Grumbling for only 20 minutes? More like half the day.

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...

Do the kids like Fablehaven?

Sweet Polly Purebred said...

We've only finished the 1st chapter. Lynn heard a detailed summary at the family reunion this summer and had pretty much given up on reading it. She is humoring me by letting her sister read it to her also.

brenda said...

How are you liking Pollyanna? I've only seen the movie.

Sorry if my kids ruined Fablehaven. They are usually pretty good about not spoiling books. It's considered a sin in this house.

Sweet Polly Purebred said...

Oh Brenda, don't worry. I know she was just excited to share with Grandma.

I have to admit that I actually plugged my ears after the 7th Harry Potter came out, because I didn't want to hear any details. ;) And, I made sure that I read Breaking Dawn as quickly as possible before I accidentally overheard teen girls talking about it.

Sweet Polly Purebred said...

About Pollyanna...I've never seen the movie, so I don't know how they compare. I think Robin is following the story line, but it seems to be over Ann Marie's head. Still there is a great lesson in the story. The vocabulary can be advanced.

velvetelement said...

Thanks for the info, I am going to print some off for the girls. They did the summer reading program but that is over with school starting.