Thursday, April 24, 2008

How many times can a 12 year old girl roll her eyes? Let me count the ways.

If it were up to my dd, she would spend her days reading books in her bedroom only coming out to use the bathroom and to eat.

Unfortunately for her, that isn't going to happen. She lives with me, her teacher/mother. So, I put up with a lot of eye rolling. Honestly, I haven't seen it happen. It's this really tricky thing she does called mental eye rolling. I've gotten good at identifying the facial expressions that accompany mental eye rolling. Yep, it's one of those special Mom Tricks that I have. Kind of like having eyes in the back of my head.

When does she mentally roll her eyes you ask? Well, let's see...hmmm.... When I am standing in her doorway after dinner reminding her that she is to wash the dishes directly after dinner instead of hiding...I mean wandering off into her bedroom. When I inform her that we will study Latin even if she thinks it's "stupid." When I insist that she recite poetry about ooey gooey worms and bald vultures(Okay, so she might have a good reason there). And, the list goes on.

Of course, there's nothing I can do about it, because I can't prove that she's actually rolling her eyes. But, if she ever does roll her eyes at me, I look forward to quoting Bill Cosby's mother, "You roll your eyes at me, and I'll roll your head." She's my kind of mom. :)

1 comment:

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...

So when I took Rachel to that play in Albany she told me about the poetry memorization. I asked, "How could it be better?" She said, "If I could choose my own poems." I said, "What would you choose?" She said, "I don't know but I'm sure I could find something." Perhaps the searching would be educational.

janeil