Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Am I a Plant?


I noticed a pattern a few years ago.  I always have a crash in February.  I mean CRASH. Some of the worst depression I have ever experienced has happened in February.  Big, bad, scary!

Is this a self-fulfilling prophecy?  Honestly, I've wondered that myself.  Every year I convince myself that it is just a coincidence.  Besides, who can be depressed in Oregon during February?  This is one of the sunniest winter months.   In fact, last year when I made it to the end of the month and nothing had happened, I was sure that somehow I had made up this whole thing.  And then, BAM, I felt like a zombie.  I had to think about getting up off the couch.  I had to force myself to move.  I had to think about each step forward.

I joked with my sister that maybe I had some plant gene in body and that my body was reacting to the coming of spring.  I know what you're thinking - completely fruity and off the wall.  

Fast forward to this year.  For a week the frogs have been serenading us at night and now I see that the tulips are already 4-5 inches tall.  And me?  Yesterday I was so agitated that my skin felt charged.  I had this feeling that if the 7yo touched me I might literally explode (her incessant chattering was having the same effect). Before the evening was over I had experienced an "ugly cry."  

This morning when I let the dog outside, I saw the tulips and thought, "Yep, I'm a plant." 

2 comments:

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...

February will pass!

Imagitext said...

Well, you didn't seem to be very motivated when you were younger to do anything except be a mom, as plants never dream to be anything else. And I'm sure I could find other similarities. I mean, there isn't anything wrong with being a plant, they're quite nice.