Saturday, October 3, 2009

Neti Pot Party!

Neti pot demonstration.

A year ago when I first heard of neti pots, I decided to buy one thinking it would be a great way to avoid sinus infections related to colds. For me that is the worst part of a cold...the lingering stuffy nose and sinuses that won't clear.

Procrastination happens.

This morning 7yo woke me complaining of an earache. She has had a bad cough and then yucky nose for about three weeks. For me, an earache is a sign that I'm on the mend. I know it sounds weird, but I've found that if I'm going to get an earache that is when it happens. Assuming 7yo's situation is similar, I gave her Tylenol and spent the day telling her, "Blow. No, blow harder!" (We avoided blowing the side that made her ear hurt.)

This evening the girls and I loaded up and drove to town on a mission to buy a neti pot. 7yo was happy to be in possession of the neti pot until we got home and mom announced we were going to have a neti pot party. Then the whining began. Yes, there was whining, wailing, and gnashing of teeth. Of course she survived. 14yo sister came in afterward to demonstrate how to use a neti pot without the drama. And 11yo had to show the rest of them that she was game too. She generously left me enough fluid to try rinsing at least one side.

Yeah, I know. We shouldn't have shared the pot. But, we've all had the same bug recently and hey, we're family. We love sharing...even germs. c:

3 comments:

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...

I had to google it to find out what a neti pot is. Hope everyone is one the mend.

Sweet Polly Purebred said...

If you click on "neti pot demonstration" at the top of the post, you can see a video of how it works.

brenda said...

What the heck? You learn something new every day...