Sunday, March 30, 2008

I Love My Bed ..or.. Why I Named My Blog "The Pleasant Land of Counterpane"

I LOVE my bed. If I'm not up puttsin' around the house then I'm on my bed. Some people have a recliner, I have my bed. It is my hangout when I want some down time to surf the net or read a book. It is even where the majority of my girls' homeschooling takes place.

So, what is a counterpane? The dictionary defines it as a bedspread. I learned about the word counterpane when reading the famous poem for children "The Land of Counterpane" by Robert Louis Stevenson.

When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay,
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.


Just like the boy in the poem my bed is the pleasant land of counterpane. But instead of playing with toy soldiers, I play with my computer.

1 comment:

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...

I prefer my recliner, feet up, good books nearby. But to each his own, right?

janeil